Thursday, September 04, 2008

Good Ideas For Inhibiting School Growth (postscript)

This blog's like that woman you keep kinda hanging on to, even though you know you should move on and stopstop thinking about her. But it's just always been so good, and the APR was made public today, and I can't help but revisit some of the good times from last Spring.

So how'd it all workout? The results of all those good ideas (I, II, III, IV?) What kind of tangible, quantitative results do we have to show for all the undermining, all the fear-mongering, all the focus-diverting?

  • API -23 points, the school's largest decline in the API era, coming in below 700 for the first time since 2005.

  • Failure to make AYP for the first time since 2002, with proficiency rates below 1/3 for the first time since 2005.

Not much here anybody should be proud of, not much anybody should be doing told-ya-so about, but maybe, just maybe, a cautionary tale.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Mr. Betlach! This is a former student of yours, Kaycee, high school grad '08 and middle school grad '04 - you're the one who brought me and my friends to the IB program, remember?

I've yet to read your entire blog (okay, haven't started), but I did read the tidbit about you no longer being a teacher, and a little part of me died. I suppose I'll find out why you stopped teaching once I comb through your entries, but before I do that I have to say that I feel oddly crushed. Please don't tell me Mr. Tacata's went off and did the same thing. :[

Hey! Reply to this, I'm definitely subscribing. (:

4:07 PM  
Blogger KB said...

Hey there, Kaycee. Let's find that part of you that died and bring it back to life. You're incredibly nice for saying so, but don't be crushed. It's hard work in a hard place, and hard to keep doing it when things around you are slipping.

It's awesome to hear from you and I want to hear more about how you're doing and what's up. Email me: teachingmyassoff [at] hotmail [com] Vanessa and I might grab some coffee some time soon (we're neighbors) -- you and the rest of the sisterhood should come soon.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If, to you, this blog is the woman you ought to let go, then maybe for some of us it is the colleague who always, always made us think of how to be better for our students. The colleague who had the best joke at the staff meeting. The colleague who was the most fun to watch at games. The one whose eyes we would seek to catch on the walk through the halls.

And now the colleague has moved away and doesn't even text us in the middle of assemblies anymore.

I was serious abou the pie, by the way. Just trying to find a day & wheels.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home